[smc-discuss] Re: Call for meeting on December 3rd Wednesday

Anivar Aravind anivar.aravind at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 20:16:20 PST 2008

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 10:06 PM, Anoop Jacob Thomas <anoopjt at gmail.com> wrote:
> Here are few poster ideas for FSFS.IN all those who can contribute
> please come forward and do it asap. Also friends please send us the
> high resolution posters of ODF,OGG, Free Documents and such things,
> anything which you think would be good.
>
> Jaganadhan, Hiran and all artists there please follow up.
>
> 1. Sharing the cake(cartoon available)
> It says about the EULA agreement problems.
> ---send by Jagannathan
> see http://sites.google.com/site/fosslinguist/Home
> also the ഗ്നു വര്‍‍ണ്ണമാല (ഗ്നു - ബാലപാഠം) would be good.
>
> 2. Piracy/Copyright trouble
> Proprietary software scenario
> A person gives proprietary software to his neighbor(they look around
> if anybody else is watching them). Policemen seeing this, arrests the
> person and he is named a pirate.
> Free Software scenario
> Picture of few people holding hands forming a chain.
> Person 1- Hey! Can I have a copy of the software you showed me last
> day? Some of my friends too would like to have it.
> Person 2-Oh sure, why not. I can give you a copy.
> With Caption- "PASS IT ON"

Please use the words share/distribute and avoid using Ubuntu
terminology which dilutes freedom aspects . GPLv3 uses the words
propagate & Convey to extend the meaning of terms share & Distribute

It is better to avoid ubuntu words like PASS IT ON  that does not
convey the freedom involved in it.

> 3.Modifying the operating system
> Picture of 3 people on one side of a wall and 3 on the other side.
> The first three are discussing about how they modified their
> software/distro according to their needs. Two(friends) on the other
> side are listening to this and seem to be interested. They ask the 3rd
> person(who is odd one out here,he too is listening to these
> conversations) what he has done to his distro to make it better.
> Person 1- I changed my Debian to suit my needs and it works fast now.
> Person 2- I did the same to my Ubuntu and its simply amazing now.
> Person 3- Thanks for helping me pals, I have tried that with my
> gNewSense too and it has made my work easier.
> On the other side of the wall
> Person 4- Oh! so the operating systems can be changed according to the
> user's needs, thats wonderful.
> Person 5- It is really interesting.(To the third person) What about
> you, what have you done to your distro to make it work better.
> Person 6- (Seems confused has nothing to say and thinks to himself).
> My computer is getting slower day by day. I think its time for me to
> shift to Free Software.

good one. But may be we can improve the conversation of 4-6 little
bit. Also Dont forget to Localise posters

> 4.Choose Between Two Evils
> Picture of two people.
> Person1 asking his best friend Person2 for a copy of proprietary software.
> Person2 wants to give it but is hesitant because he would be caught.
> He has to choose between whether to give the copy and be named a
> pirate or not to give the copy and lose his precious friendship.
> Person 1- Hey buddy can u give me a copy of the 'Proprietary OS'
> Person 2-(thinking to himself) How can I not give him a copy, he is my
> best friend. But if i give him a copy, I would become a pirate....What
> shall I do....(he is confused and sad)

Right to Read ;-)

The posters are great!! Kudos Anoop

Anivar

--
Any responsible politician should be encouraging a home grown Free
Software industry because it creates the basis for future jobs.