[smc-discuss] Re: KDE translation

ashik salahudeen aashiks at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 04:15:56 PDT 2008

All,

The desktop paradigm itself entails using a new language. In fact words like
"Desktop" and "icon" take on any meaning only when they are applied to a
particular context. Using words with similar meaning makes sense when it is
a language that shares roots with English , eg: German , where they use
Netzwerk (network) , Betriebssystem (operating System ) makes sense beause
they sound and most often mean exactly the same thing . For a german , it is
not awkward when they use those words. ANd for those words for which they
are unable to find equivalent meaning, they use the english word itself, and
it becomes part of the language later on. For us , it is awkward to use
"Ottippu"  for 'patch'  . They don't even mean the same thing . It would be
better to either create a new word , or use the word as such instead of
finding a translation that is nearly equal in meaning. I agree with Ani
here.

(please forgive my english usage , i do not have firefox right now because i
am at work ) .

Regards,
Ashik S

2008/7/2 Ani Peter <peter.ani at gmail.com>:

> Manilal K M wrote:
> > 2008/7/2 Ani Peter <peter.ani at gmail.com>:
> >
> >> അല്ല ശരിക്കും പറഞ്ഞാല്‍ "patch" -നു് മലയാളം വാക്കു് ആവശ്യമുണ്ടോ??  ചില
> വാക്കുകള്‍ നമ്മള്‍
> >> transliterate ചെയ്യാറില്ലേ?? ഇതും അങ്ങനെ ഒരു വാക്കല്ലേ?? ഒരു സാധാരണ
> വ്യക്തി
> >> "ഒട്ടിപ്പു്" എന്നു് വായിച്ചാല്‍ അതു് "patch" ആണു് അര്‍ത്ഥം എന്നു്
> മനസ്സിലാക്കുമോ??
> >> Correct me if I am wrong..
> >>
> >> Best regards
> >> Ani

സ്വതന്ത്ര മലയാളം കമ്പ്യൂട്ടിങ്ങ് - എന്റെ കമ്പ്യൂട്ടറിന് എന്റെ ഭാഷ
പിരിഞ്ഞു പോകാന്‍: smc-discuss-unsubscribe at googlegroups.com