[smc-discuss] Re: XeTeX - TeX for Unicode

Manilal K M libregeek at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 23:56:26 PDT 2008

2008/6/27 Anivar Aravind <anivar.aravind at gmail.com>:
> V. Sasi Kumar wrote:
>> On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 09:25 +0530, Santhosh Thottingal wrote:
>>
>>> ഇപ്പൊ ഇതാ XeTeX എന്ന വേറൊരു സംഭവം ആ കുറവു നികത്തിയിരിക്കുന്നു. - a
>>> typesetting system based on a merger of Donald Knuth's TeX system with
>>> Unicode and modern font technologies.
>>>
>>> http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&id=xetex നോക്കൂ
>>>
>>>  Writing Unicode Bengali in LaTeX -
>>> http://methopath.wordpress.com/2008/06/26/writing-unicode-bengali-in-latex/
>>> എന്ന ബ്ലോഗ് പോസ്റ്റും നോക്കൂ.
>>
>> Do you know in what way this is different from Omega?
>>
>> Best
>
> Omega was using ASCII fonts. Omega used to converts Unicode text into
> ascii for creative PDF. So we cant use any Unicode fonts and we cant use
>  tools like pdf2 text to get data back on unicode.
>
> Omega malayalam is using The ASCII 6 fonts set of Rachana for creative PDF
>
> Alex AJ, the author of MalayalamOmega is a member of this list. I hope
> he can give us more details
>
> Anivar

XeTeX is available in Fedora repository.
texlive-2007-30
dvipdfmx-0-0.23
xetex-0.996

But  it seems there are issues with some chillu(ള്‍ , ര്‍) . I
downloaded the sample files(this contains the sample file for
Malayalam also) from
http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=xetex_download
and modified to work with rachana font. The .tex and the pdf file are
attached.

There is a note from the author in Malayalam sample tex file:
% Malayalam text from http://www.xenotypetech.com/samplepdfs/ML_Sample.html
%
% NOTE: Requires AkrutiMal2 font
% available from http://www.keralaindustry.org/malayalam/download.html
%
% I see some problems with the rendered text, but I see similar
problems in the PDF version
% available from xenotype's site, so I wonder if the encoding is
incorrect. Needs investigation.
% Could be errors in the text, the font, or the layout engine.
%
% One problem is with the use of <0D46, 0D3E> in place of <0D4A> (and
presumably the
% other similar pairs). This should be legitimate. Not sure if font or
engine is to blame.

I don't totally understand the issues. May be I have done something wrong.

--
Manilal K M : മണിലാല്‍ കെ എം.
http://libregeek.blogspot.com

സ്വതന്ത്ര മലയാളം കമ്പ്യൂട്ടിങ്ങ് - എന്റെ കമ്പ്യൂട്ടറിന് എന്റെ ഭാഷ
പിരിഞ്ഞു പോകാന്‍: smc-discuss-unsubscribe at googlegroups.com