[smc-discuss] Re: Fwd: Defending the threat to the public-ness and the egalitarian nature of the Internet

Anivar Aravind anivar.aravind at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 05:59:14 PST 2008

2008/11/27 ashik salahudeen <aashiks at gmail.com>

> +1

done. sent our confirmation. But I still feel the 2nd point may need
needs some more clarity  And the way it presented may invite unwanted
criticism.  I sent out a mail offering our support and raising these
points

All the  four points highlighted actually are managed mostly by means
of 1.  If there is clear policy on 1 we can achieve quite a lot of
Public control  over internet  media.  The most popular embedding of
control points in the Internet is to spread the media with increasing
amounts of privately encoded documents.  This makes public cultural
resources under the monopolistic control. Therefore if we do not make
the data encoding and Internet protocols as free standards, we will
not get what we want.. the data published on the Internet is
increasingly polluted by privately encoded formats.  Since Internet at
the end is a means of publication, it is important to keep the format
of the published files as free document standards.  E.g., internet
should not be polluted by privately owned data like mp3, mp4, flash,
ppt, doc, DRM embeded media etc.  This will not let us eliminate
monopolies.

Anivar

--
Any responsible politician should be encouraging a home grown Free
Software industry because it creates the basis for future jobs.