[smc-discuss] Re: [ilug-tvm] Re: Fwd: [FSUG-Bangalore] Boycott Novell Protesters Man-handled at National Conference on Free Software 2008

jinesh kj jinesh.k at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 06:09:23 PST 2008

hi,

Hope All those who had problems read through Anivar's and Arun's
account of things also. As someone who uses free software in day to
day life and working on computers for living, i feel like what Anivar
and friends were trying to do was going with the freedom matters.
People here talks about the agenda and the procedure of all
conferences. As long as i understand, the role of patents in
restricting(killing) knowledge ownership by community is a big and
important one. You should be alarmed that, people who don't wish to
patent and apply restrictions were even forced to patent in order
grant freedom and avoid patent threats,plus if you think about the
patent and related issues, the situation is like, trivial matters are
even getting patented, in field of artificial intelligence, things as
trivial as 2+2=4 in maths are getting patented, which makes the whole
knowledge in a handful of people. Using some keywords, people are
blocking some areas as only they can explore(many language computing
related patents, M$ used for Bhrahmi scripts).

I don't know what all were talked about in the software patent related
workshop conducted by lawyers forum and another event(which i think
was a seminar on software patents). If things were told in the way
they are, i am quite sure that for at least those who attended these
sessions might have understood why it is important to fight patents.
For understanding the threats a little more better you can read
through 1000s of articles coming in periodicals and web about software
patents(for and against).

Everyone says the conference's agenda is to promote and explore the
idea of freedom in software. Then, i think the same will be preserved
in its organization too. As far as i know, people who appear as
organizers are well known personalities and admired intellectuals. So,
simply the matter of money from novell will never make them happy
enough to accept their money. They might have thought of them as a
genuine FOSS contributor. So, someone who is trying make people aware
that, this sponsor is not following the freedom concept appears good
to me.

People who have been to colleges and functions know how people who
protest against something or other will be handled. I also think that
none of the organizers been to any free software meet ups for last 2
years. All most all of them had the boycott novell campaign running
and stickers, t shirts and posters were distributed.

1. The issue of someone getting man handled is related to discipline.
How much did Anivar or others were undisciplined compared to
organizers who were interested in getting money from someone who
betrays the whole concept of software freedom?
2. This issue now makes into the media and gives a good exposure for
the problem novell has with community(they still does a lot of support
to community, but if only that counts, then M$ should be given the
best supporter award.).

So, other than making this as a problem between two fractions of
FSF(one with CPI-M and others not), let us just understand that the
cause which Anivar and friends stood for, was an important one. Just
because its against your undisclosed sponsor doesn't make it something
which is irrelevant and avoided in conferences related to software
freedom. No one in the world is against novell, just against their
stands on freedom. If its like, just because they give more money,
they have more freedom and no one have rights to speak about some bad
things they did, i think you don't understand freedom.

If this event was truly associated with CPI(M) and the actions were
according to the party's stand on software freedom, i feel like all
those things which it did for freedom is in veins(not because they
manhandled someone, just because they failed to understand freedom).

 So, other than throwing mud just understand that, there was a cause
for the actions and it is not a minor negligible issue which is not to
be limited to for walls of two sessions. It is not good to oppose a
cause just because some one who sponsors your event is not with it.
More over CUSAT is a Research Institute and almost all will be aware
of the threats software patent raises, if you are producing genuine
knowledge.

cheers

Jinesh K J

P.S: I know its long and may contain many contradicting remarks and
statements, i wrote it in intervals of my work. But the whole spirit
is understandable i believe.

--
My Feelings,Expressions-
http://logbookofanobserver.blogspot.com

My scribblings-
http://logbookofanobserver.wordpress.com

SMC : My computer, My language http://smc.org.in
സ്വതന്ത്ര മലയാളം കമ്പ്യൂട്ടിങ്ങ്, എന്റെ കമ്പ്യൂട്ടറിന് എന്റെ ഭാഷ