[Ilugc] Forget about MS , work towards a better GNU/Linux( was [FSUG-Bangalore] Boycott Novell Protesters Man-handled at National Conference on Free Software 2008)

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon at thenilgiris.com
Mon Nov 17 17:08:24 PST 2008

On Tuesday 18 November 2008 02:07:18 am satish wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-11-17 at 11:06 -0500, varadarajan narayanan wrote:
> > We are a multilingual society. And this is ILUGC ( Chennai)
> > Tamil is perfectly acceptable.
>
> but it does not really serve the purpose when what you meant is not
> understood by the other party !

I face this problem all the time in North India - they automatically assume I
know Hindi and keep talking Hindi. I used to protest, but now I have given
up - I assume that if they are not interested in whether I understand them,
what they are saying is not worth listening to. I can read Tamil, but not as
fast as English, and with email, anything I cannot scan at a glance, I
delete. No time for anything else. So I simply assume that this stuff is not
important enough to read. Common courtesy dictates that one should make
oneself understood - sure, post in Tamil or Hindi or Swahili for that matter,
but have the courtesy to attach a summary in English. Otherwise it is just
bad manners - and highly impolite.

--
regards
KG