[ilugd] Final list of awards for the 2008 Sarai FLOSS fellowships

Sudhir Gandotra sudhir at openlx.com
Thu Oct 30 07:23:24 PDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-30 at 16:17 +0530, Gora Mohanty wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>   It gives us great pleasure to announce the list of fellows
> for the 2008 Sarai FLOSS fellowship programme. The number of fellowships this year represents a dramatic increase from past
> years. We are thankful to NIXI, and in particular, to their
> CEO, Mr. Rajesh Aggarwal for their generosity in making so
> many fellowships possible.
>
> Below is the list of 21 awardees. The list is also available
> online at
> <http://www.sarai.net/fellowships/floss/2008-sarai-floss-fellowships-list> . We will be in touch with each of the fellows, and
> also with anyone who sent in a proposal by the coming weekend.
> Please feel free to write to me with any queries, and/or
> concerns.
>
> The final list is:
>    1. Debayan Banerjee/Sawood Alam: Joint award for OCR in Urdu, Bengali, etc., based on Google Tesseract
>    2. Abhishek Choudhary et al: Hindawi is a system to allow programming in Indian languages. This project proposes to build online courseware to introduce the various components of Hindawi, to improve the project documentation, create a syllabus around Hindawi, distribute live CDs, and hold lectures.
>    3. Hassath: Making of a short film using FOSS tools, documenting the process, and listing pros and cons of the applications.
>    4. Sachin Joshi: Integrating automated speech recognition (ASR) for Hindi into the Linux platform.
>    5. Aadil Kak: Kashmiri font completion, and localisation of KDE 4.2.
>    6. Friji Karthikeyan: Internet Radio framework, with interface to, and hosting on Giss.tv
>    7. Satya Komaragiri: Speech-to-text support in OLPC, with Hindi ASR.
>    8. Manu Konchady: FOSS online tutor to teach students new languages, using text-to-speech, and a web-based framework.
>    9. Ajay Kumar: Sahana client on Openmoko mobiles. Sahana is the disaster relief management system used for the Bihar floods, tsunami, etc.
>   10. Sangeeta Kumari: Maithili localisation of KDE4.2, Fedora, and the Chatzilla IM client.
>   11. Pranav Madhyastha / Sriram Chaudhary: Joint award to develop a system of machine translation (MT) from English to Hindi. This will consist of a web framework to assist improvement of the background engine, and work on an open-source MT engine, Anusaaraka.
>   12. Helen Mary: Open-source database, and tools to study mental retardation.
>   13. Kartik Mistry: Gujarati localisation of KDE 4.2, usability workshop, and some internationalisation work for KDE
>   14. Rajeev Sebastian: Indic text rendering in Scribus, a page layout (DTP) application, using the Harfbuzz library.
>   15. Shishir Sharma et al: Intelligent Transliteration from Romanised English to Hindi
>   16. Syed Shikeb: Urdu localisation of KDE 4.2.
>   17. Ravishankar Shrivastava: Chhatisgarhi localisation of KDE 4.2.
> [...]

Hello Gora,

How can one get contact information of the participants ?

And how does one get to see their work that has won awards ?
---
With best wishes for Unity in thinking, feeling and action.

Sudhir Gandotra.  98-101-20918

IIPL: B-220/2, 2nd Fl., Savitri Nagar, Malviya Nagar, New Delhi 110017,
India
Phone : +91-11-26014670, 71, 72.   Fax : +91-11-26014672

OpenLX Linux OS, Linux Training, Support, Services, Product Development
Affordable Business Desktop @ Just Rs. 500/- :
http://kalculate.com/piracy.php
http://www.openlx.com/openlx.html - FOSS award 2008 winner Linux from
India
                http://www.efytimes.com/efytimes/24867/news.htm
            http://openlx.com/features.html - OpenLX Linux features

                     You don't need violence to shake the world
                 Treat Others As You Would Have Them Treat You
                              www.humanistmovement.org