[smc-discuss] Re: ASCII TeX to Unicode conversion

V. Sasi Kumar sasi.fsf at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 10:47:31 PDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-06-26 at 22:15 +0530, Santhosh Thottingal wrote:

> There are 2 options.
> 1. Convert the pdf in ascii font format to unicode using payyans. It
> can extract text from pdf and convert to unicode

I tried this, but it failed. In the old Malayalam LaTeX, we had to type
English transliteration of Malayalam. A pre-processor converted it into
a .tex file that had some kind of codes in places where Malayalam words
are typed. When we run latex, the Malayalam characters are inserted. The
fonts available were Rachana and Keli. I used Rachana old lipi. I tried
with the map files available, but it produced only garbage, though it
gave Malayalam characters. Since we don't have to key in Malayalam, I
cannot create a map file either. The only way may be to create a script
that can convert from the .tex file. I guess that is not worth the
trouble since there can't be many people who will need it. Thanks,
anyway.

Best
--
V. Sasi Kumar