[smc-discuss] Re: How do browsers show fonts?

Santhosh Thottingal santhosh.thottingal at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 08:34:25 PDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 8:59 PM, Srihari k <harisulthan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 7:36 PM, Srihari k <harisulthan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 9:32 PM, Srihari k <harisulthan at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>  But malayalam letters are too small.So i have to
>>> zoom the page for reading them.But by zooming english text becomes
>>> larger..So is there a way to change displayed font sizes in for
>>> malayalam alone in firefox?
>>

>> Oops..I think i've been thinking all wrong about the issue.
>> Sorry....I have made a stupid mistake somewhere...The problem with
>> fonts being small is only at:
>>
>> http://wiki.smc.org.in/
>>
>> Text is in normal readable size at:
>>
>> http://malayal.am/
>> http://malayalam.kerala.gov.in/index.php
>> http://www.manoramaonline.com
>> and
>> http://www.mathrubhumi.com/
>>

> UPDATE
>
> The problem persists with SMC wiki and malayalam wiki pedia..
>
> The text dsiplayed in these sites is still small.
>
> When i copied malayalm text to an html file i created and opened in
> firefox the text is displayed in proper size
>
> My browser user agent string:
> Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.2.3) Gecko/20100402
> Namoroka/3.6.3
>
> So it is a browser specific / CSS of the wiki related problem ?

No, no problem with these web pages. Can you give us a screenshot?
Don't use Malayal.am or mathrubhumi for testing. That sites embed the fonts.

I assume that the problem is the fontconfig rules not getting applied
as expected. Font config does 1.2 multipllication of Meera font size.
If you had installed the fonts in the normal way(read: using the
package management system of your distro),  this problem will not
come.

-Santhosh