[ILUG-Cochin.org] SMC Camp May 22 23

sooraj kenoth soorajkenoth at gmail.com
Sat May 15 08:36:43 PDT 2010

Sorry for the delayed reply.

The general objectives of the camp are

# Get more volunteers in SMC project as contributer.
#Create an awareness on SMC project and its significance
#Help people to use Malayalam in computer.

Event dependent objectives:

Depending upon the selection of project and availability of resources
there are event dependent objective.

First camp our objective was simple and direct

#Do some translations

Second camp our objectives were:

#Start Ubuntu manual translation
#Introduce more linguistics experts into SMC project

Third camp was completely organized by FISAT Angamali. Objective

#Give an awareness to FISAT students about SMC
#Guide them to do their B.Tech projects in SMC

This is our forth camp. Our local community(ilug-cochin) can decide
the objective and resources of the camp.

In all the camps Hiran Venugopalan gave an introduction to font
design. But key activity was translation. In second camp we tried to
focus on font design

> But I don't know your criteria of selecting a place.

It can be any place having some computer facility. According to my
experience minimum requirement for the camp is at least one system per
6 volunteers. But Mr. Vimal Joseph has a new different idea. I hope he
will explain it. It seems to be more economical. You can suggest your
own idea and a way to implement it. Once Mr. Praveen.A suggested to
introduce Pango in one of the camp.

>Are we planning this as technical or non technical event ?

It has to be decided by the local community, depending upon the
availability of experts and level of available volunteers. If it is
only translation of documentation, it is only semi-technical. If we
are getting volunteers have some technical skill or a hand on any
language we can do it as a technical one. But it not easy to make it
it a pure non-technical event.

If you can give a idea about possible venue and volunteers, I can
suggest my idea. In Cochin I prefer to target School Students or Arts
College Students, having some experience in free software.

Now IT mission and IT at Shool, offered a support for the camp. Only
thing we have to give a detailed proposal about the camp, before they
can approve. Vimal Joseph started writing a proposal for it. I'm
running behind some of these government organizations to know and to
get help for the camp and other free software programs.

Regards:
Sooraj Kenoth
Zyxware Technologies
"Be the Change You Wish to See in the World" - MK Gandhi.