[smc-discuss] English Malayalam Dictionary - Dict server and Jabber buddy bot

Santhosh Thottingal santhosh.thottingal at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 02:31:12 PDT 2010

Friends,

Since we got a new server, Rajeesh just started a dict daemon there.
That means you can now use the English Malayalam dictionary with the
gnome or kde dictionary tools. In the configuration one need to give
the server as
silpa.smc.org.in and port as 2628. Configuration is  documented in
detail with screenshots here: http://wiki.smc.org.in/Dictionary

In addition to English Malayalam dictionary, we have English Hindi and
Hindi English Dictionaries.

Other languages are not available since there is no dictionaries
available in Freedom compatible license.

There is an easy way to use the dictionary now. We have a jabber buddy
bot running with the above mentioned dictionary.
Add eng.mal.dict at gmail.com to your gtalk or jabber contacts.
To get the meaning of a word, start chatting with this contact, type
the word. The bot will reply to you with the meaning.

If you have any doubts in using this, please ask. The jabber bot is
experimental and there can be some changes in the usage pattern later.

Dict based English-Malayalam dictionary was prepared by Myself and
Rajeesh Nambiar. The dictionary used is the Kerala gov, gpled eng-mal
dictionary. It is a very small dictionary. Our attempts to get the
dictionaries with more words from CDAC or Kerala government was not
successful so far. This dictionary is not packaged so far(we need to
do that)

The Jabber Buddy bot was prepared by myself, Ragsagar,  Ershad and
Sarath Lakshman.

Thanks
Santhosh Thottingal