[smc-discuss] lipi parishkaranam

Santhosh Thottingal santhosh.thottingal at gmail.com
Sat Oct 2 10:33:46 PDT 2010

On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 10:31 PM, Dr.Shajihan <drshajihan2007 at gmail.com> wrote:
>  pls see attachment.
> i am not a computer expert. but it seems to me that computer tabs are
> crowded with malayalam fonts because we have more than 100 inputs.we need to
> find easier way for typing malayalam by reducing the number of fonts.it
> would be revolutionary if it happens. i draw ur attention to 1970s under the
> joint venture of kerala bhasha institute and malayala manorma formulated the
> way for easy typing of malayalam by introducing the symbols. pls see
> attachment.

This 'lipi parishkaram' happended  in 1970s are based on the technical
limitations of Typewriters and printing devices of that time. When
computers and unicode came into place, we have solved all those issues
and practically there is no issue in handling Malayalam with
traditional script itself. And now a days this is not at all an issue
being discussed. All the well known fonts in Malayalam are based on
traditional script. If we are complaining about too many glyphs, what
these Chinese people will do? How can they handle thousands of glyphs
with computers?

If you are facing any problem in handling Malayalam in your computer
we are happy to assist you.  There are a number of easy ways to type
Malayalam in computes now a days(have a look at our website
http://wiki.smc.org.in). Technology has grown to handle our Malayalam
as Malayalam as such. No need to change our language for technology.

Thanks
Santhosh Thottingal