[smc-discuss] pypdf build system and github/non-free service (was Re: Project: PyPDFLib)

Santhosh Thottingal santhosh.thottingal at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 03:43:25 PDT 2010

---- On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 03:31:51 -0700 Kurian O.S ™ ®  wrote ----

>I am oke with that , but here is the problem if the user dont have that lib installed in there system then we need to force them to install
>is that oke ?

Few things we need to take care.
1. The library should have python bindings  - graphicsmagick has python wrapper. but that brings additional dependecies
libgraphicsmagick++-dev
libboost-python1.40-dev
(http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pgmagick/0.2.4)
2. It should be running on all Operating systems
3. It should be only an image library - (gtk is not)
4. Should match the requirements of cairo.
5. Package dependecies- the library may be simple and small , but consider the dependencies it has.

note: reportlab(we are trying to  build alternative for that)  uses PIL

But before taking any such decision, please go through this thread : http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/cairo/2007-January/009096.html (it is bit lengthy)

Thanks
Santhosh