No subject

Tue Sep 21 14:48:07 PDT 2010

laugh at these so called "words". The anomalies are created by your
*theory* of how chillus should be handled, which btw carries no weight
and holds no water among experts of Malayalam and Malayalam Computing.

Perhaps you have convinced some westerners sitting in meeting halls in
California, but I would like to remind you that the minute that
standards become useless to the people, they become irrelevant and
they will be discarded. Nothing really forces people to stick to
Unicode, just as none really stuck to IISCI and the other so-called
"standards".

Cibu, with your new-found influence in certain corporations and
decision-making bodies, what you are doing knowingly or unknowingly,
you are destroying a language. From the beginning of the chillu
debate, all the time you came up with some flimsy arguments with the
under-table support of some Unicode officials and some policians and
committee members and IT-establishment people at Thiruvananthapuram
for your cause. Even with all this, the number of people that
"support" the atomic chillu can be counted on one's hands; till now
there has been no genuine counter-arguments to what we have said
through our documents, instead there was only widespread support.

Also, I would like to remind people on the list that there is no
logical reason why chillus are being encoded today. They are being
added to the lists purely for political/administrative reasons. It is
funny considering that the UTC is supposed to be standing for the side
of truth and logic.

As far as "support" is concerned, please remember that a large number
of scholars and scientists involved in Malayalam and malayalam
computing met last year at the Kerala University-held workshop and
resolved not to accept the atomic chillus. The important thing to note
in this regard was that the "problems/issues" that Cibu and his
playmates introduced were taken one by one, the pros and cons were
enumerated impartially with academic honesty, were examined in detail,
and finally came to the conclusion that these arguments were baseless
and worthless. Apparently, they have sent it to UTC and concerned
authorities.

Also, all sides of the issues have been discussed in several forums,
both mailing lists and elsewhere. But, to date, there has been no
credible supporting arguments for  the atomic chillus. On the other
hand, the arguments against atomic chillus have so far not been
countered convincingly, including IDNA issue which
atomic-chillu-people brought in as an argument of "last-resort".

The problem is that, none of the issues have been taken up on their merits.

This is the history of the Malayalam encoding debate. As people who
brought the issues to the table, and who upheld the original stand of
Unicode and UTC, what we have to say is that we are not for research
on the various activities of people like Cibu, Everson, etc.

If the UTC wishes to ignore it, then so be it; but it would be at the
risk of their own reputations. In any case, people like Cibu are not
representative of Malayalam or Malayalees.

Either way, if UTC encodes atomic chillus, either Malayalam will fail
in IDN, or UTC will contradict itself.

Regards
Rajeev J Sebastian

PS: For those who have not seen the report of the Kerala University
workshop, please ask UC for a copy of the same, or I can send it to
you.