No subject

Tue Sep 21 14:48:07 PDT 2010

created its own issues. Now I admit, the issue can be with the team and not
with Posgre.

Anyway, if it was the licencing which dictated this choice, there is a quote
from Linus Torvalds which I wish many in the Mallu FSF community would read
and think over, esp. regarding some of their fundamentalisms.

*... good code simply doesn't care about ideology, and ideology often does
the wrong technical decisions because it's not about practical issues.

The watch-word in Linux development has been "pragmatism". That's probably
part of what drives the FSF wild about Linux in the first place. I care
about _practical_ issues, not about wild goose chases.

Asking for things that are perfect "in theory" usually just results in
things that are horrible "in practice".
*

2010/1/9 Santhosh Thottingal <santhosh00 at gmail.com>

> 2010/1/9 Jayasankar <jayasankar.peethambaran at gmail.com>:
> > But I am very skeptical about PostgreSQL. Has it been used and deployed
> in
> > simlar scaled applications?
>
> There is no problem with postgresql with scalability. I  had worked on
> large scale deployments for a major telecom company in US.  You can
> read a number of prominent postgresql users here :
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PostgreSQL#Prominent_users
>
> Thanks
> Santhosh

--001485f630dea55998047cbf81c2

"color: rgb(0, 0, 153);"><br style=3D"color: rgb(0, 0, 153);"><span style=
=3D"color: rgb(0, 0, 153);">I had seen the wiki before, though there are a =
couple of new ones now it seems. But I think many of them seem to be huge r=
ewrites ie=A0 using some part of Postgre they thought would be useful but c=
ustomizing it extremely for their use. I am guessing your big implementatio=
n was like that too? My worry is that the approach will work when there are=
 big internal IT teams of skilled people with big incentives.=A0 </span><br=
 style=3D"color: rgb(0, 0, 153);">
>From what I hear about the KSEB project, the database being Postgre has cr=
eated its own issues. Now I admit, the issue can be with the team and not w=
ith Posgre.</span><br style=3D"color: rgb(0, 0, 153);">
>Anyway, if it was the licencing which dictated this choice, there is a quo=
te from Linus Torvalds which I wish many in the Mallu FSF community would r=
ead and think over, esp. regarding some of their fundamentalisms. </span><b=
r>
ften
does the wrong technical decisions because it's not about practical
issues.<br><br>
The watch-word in Linux development has been "pragmatism". That&#=
39;s
probably part of what drives the FSF wild about Linux in the first
place. I care about _practical_ issues, not about wild goose chases.<br><br=

Asking for things that are perfect "in theory" usually just resul=
ts in things that are horrible "in practice".<br></i>
ir=3D"ltr"><<a href=3D"mailto:santhosh00 at gmail.com">santhosh00 at gmail.com=
1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;=
">
2010/1/9 Jayasankar <<a href=3D"mailto:jayasankar.peethambaran at gmail.com=
">jayasankar.peethambaran at gmail.com</a>>:<br>
n used and deployed in<br>
> simlar scaled applications?<br>
 on<br>
large scale deployments for a major telecom company in US. =A0You can<br>
read a number of prominent postgresql users here :<br>
=3D"_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PostgreSQL#Prominent_users</a><br>
Thanks<br>
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups &=
quot;FEC-Fourth Estate Critique" group.<br>
To post to this group, send email to <a href=3D"mailto:fourth-estate-critiq=
ue at googlegroups.com">fourth-estate-critique at googlegroups.com</a>.<br>
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to <a href=3D"mailto:fourth-esta=
te-critique%2Bunsubscribe at googlegroups.com">fourth-estate-critique+unsubscr=
ibe at googlegroups.com</a>.<br>
roup/fourth-estate-critique?hl=3Den" target=3D"_blank">http://groups.google=
.com/group/fourth-estate-critique?hl=3Den</a>.<br>

--001485f630dea55998047cbf81c2--
--0015174c3ff2cc122c047cbf81ac

-- <br />

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "FEC-Fourth Estate Critique" group.<br />