[smc-discuss] Malayalam in Android 4.0

Jishnu jishnu7 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 03:37:09 PST 2011

What happens in ICS is, the browser render complex scripts perfectly when
font is embedded using fontface.

On Thursday, December 1, 2011, Siji Sunny <sijisunny at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 10:24 PM, Jishnu <jishnu7 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I don't know whether it is appropriate to post here or not.
>>
>> Here are some sceenshots of Ice Cream Sandwich web-browser.
>> DropBox | jishnu7
>>
>> It is showing/rendering Malayalam perfectly for websites which are
>> font embedded and other websites are showing nothing as content. I
>> tried to replace the fallback font. But still complex script rendering
>> is not available. (by the way, ICS supports hindi and even have a
>> language pack.).
>
> I have been working with android for getting Indic support and had some
experiments with various phones and development boards.And the result was
really interesting.

> Here some of my findings
>
> Initially I have experimented with Samsung Galaxy(froyo) fit without
rooting and it's having the support for Hindi in browser and even in
applications too.But other indian languages are displaying as square boxes.
> Then I rooted the device and while exploring in the font path, realised
that only Hindi font is there (DroidHindi.ttf).So I have replaced the
DroidHindi with a Tamil Unicode font and browser and the sample application
with Tamil text (Menu's Buttons etc) rendered properly.
> But while tried with Malayalam it's failed to do the character level
reordering.So assumes character level reordering algorithm is not
implemented for malayalam and may be for some other languages.

> Since the source code of samsung android built is not available, I have
tried with ICS in pandaboard and in the font path three indic fonts are
there.

jishnu7 at joindiaspora.com
http://identi.ca/jishnu7
http://twitter.com/jishnu7