[smc-discuss] Console fonts and #smc-project at freenode.net

Santhosh Thottingal santhosh.thottingal at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 07:29:25 PST 2011

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 5:56 PM, Mohammed Sadik pk <sadiqpkp at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1.Is there any malayalam fonts for tty? Or can anybody point me to a
> good tutorial for that?, also I require a good way to input malayalam
> from console( ml input works in xinit).

Consoles are still not supporting proper rendering of Malayalam. This
may be a surprise to you, and there were efforts from many people in
this regard - to add support for good Malayalam rendering. You cannot
have complex script rendering unless complex script rendering is
available, that means, you cannot get Malayalam rendering before
desktops such as Gnome/KDE etc are loaded with required rendering
libraries. Even inside these desktops, the terminals are not capable
of rendering indic text properly. Emacs is one exception, It can
render Malayalam anywhere perfectly as far as I know.

Read more in our archive
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.org.region.india.smc-discuss/4885

> 2.I just saw that #smc-project at freenode is ~every time idle,so
> won't there be any regular irc meetings,either monthly or weekly(
> etc)?

I am available in #smc-project, most of the time, please ping me(ie
use my nickname santhosh in your message, otherwise I will not notice
it). But I cannot guarantee the reply since I will be preoccupied with
my work. If you don't get any reply, or don't see anybody, just mail
here.

IRC meetings were a failure most of the time for us,  every time we
planned it, people who organized it will be absent for some reason,
and people attending will be very new to smc, and whole time is spent
for explaining basics- that is good but we just stuck there always.

-Santhosh