[smc-discuss] Legacy encoding (ISCII)

Mahesh T. Pai paivakil at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 03:57:57 PST 2011

Does anybody use legacy encoding on any recent distro? How does
rendering, input, etc work?

What about data entry?

Ny organisation is going in to buy some PCs, and thankfully, the DGSD
& D rate contract scheme includes PCs with RHEL and SuSE preinstalled.
I am pushing for these over "OS-with-virus-preinstalled" option.

Problem is, much of data entry will be on the servers hosted by the
Kerala govt. datacenter, which continues to use legacy encoding.  The
data centers themselves use some flavour of LAMP, but strangely uses
ISCII. See http://210.212.239.18/peedika/web/index.php for an example.

I guess creating a keymap for data entry (if it does not exist) would
be comparatively trivial, But, last time I used, ISCII encoding had
problems on browsers and also OpenOffice.org.

My idea is to push for Unicode encoding for intra-organisational
work. but much of work will be on web applications, and support for
legacy encoding is a must.

PS:- Any official (not volunteers for FC) Red Hat guys here?

--
Mahesh T. Pai   ||
``Those willing to give up a little liberty for a