[smc-discuss] Malayalam of Source code?

Manoj M Prabhakaran manojmp at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 11:16:50 PST 2011

Given that the discussion is still alive, let me try to elaborate a bit on
why I think സൂത്രം (which someone else suggested earlier in this thread) is
a really cool word for computer programs.

സൂത്രം doesn't just mean a trick. For one, sutra "literally means a thread
or line that holds things together"  (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C5%ABtra).  Also there is a connotation of it
being something encoding information/instructions in a condensed form. For
instance, to cite wikipedia again,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiva_Sutrassays "the practice of
encoding complex rules in short, mnemonic verses is
typical of the sutra style." Note also that സൂത്രവാക്യം means a formula,
which is again an encoding of some form of computation.

It is nice that സൂത്രം would probably emphasis not the text part of the
program, but the algorithmic essence of a program (which as computer science
theorist, I really like). The word does invoke the idea of something clever.

If മൂലം is the word of choice for indicating source, we could go with
മൂലസൂത്രം for source code. Programming languages would be സൂത്രഭാഷകള്‍ and
programmer സൂത്രകൃത്ത് (?). Programming could be സൂത്രരചന, സൂത്രവേല or
സൂത്രവിദ്യ (I reckon that the last one would sound like trick-trick :) I
briefly thought of ആസൂത്രണം, but being a popular word meaning planning, it
is best avoided).

regards,
Manoj

ps: The only downside I can imagine would be PJs connecting it to kamasutra
:-)

http://theory.cs.uiuc.edu/~mmp