[smc-discuss] an english word for this..

Hitha Venugopalan hitha.v at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 03:15:20 PST 2011

ok, njan conventional pinavalikkunnu :) here are the definitions from web...

*Conventional medicine:* Medicine as practiced by holders of M.D. (medical
doctor) or D.O. (doctor of osteopathy) degrees and by their allied health
professionals, such as physical therapists, psychologists, and registered
nurses. Other terms for conventional medicine include allopathy and
allopathic medicine; Western medicine, mainstream medicine, orthodox
medicine, and regular medicine; and biomedicine.

*Traditional medicine (TM) *refers to the knowledge, skills and practices
based on the theories, beliefs and experiences indigenous to different
cultures, used in the maintenance of health and in the prevention,
diagnosis, improvement or treatment of physical and mental illness.
Traditional medicine covers a wide variety of therapies and practices which
vary from country to country and region to region. In some countries, it is
referred to as "alternative" or "complementary" medicine (CAM).

Traditional medicine has been used for thousands of years with great
contributions made by practitioners to human health, particularly as primary
health care providers at the community level. TM/CAM has maintained its
popularity worldwide. Since the 1990s its use has surged in many developed
and developing countries.

Hitha