[smc-discuss] Fwd: GNOME-Terminal -- Complex script support

Praveen A pravi.a at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 00:22:28 PST 2011

from Swapnil, Mihir, Saurabh, [sneak peak of their work, I have asked them
to blog about it]

We have tried to solve the rendering problem for Indic scripts (particularly
for Devnagari) in gnome-terminal.

fig1 below shows the incorrect rendering in the current version for
gnome-terminal.

[image: previous_vte.png]

fig2 shows the correct rendering due to the changes that we made to the code
to vte.

[image: updated_vte.png]

Now the* problem* with these modifications is the extra space (as shown in
fig2 with a red circle) between the two adjacent characters when a non-zero
width conjuct is added. These spaces break the word, so they are not
desirable. We thought of solving this problem by using a buffer technique
i.e buffer the whole word and then display it as a whole.

--
പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍
You have to keep reminding your government that you don't get your rights