[smc-discuss] Incorrect display of Malayalam in Terminal (Ubuntu 10.04)

Praveen A pravi.a at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 23:09:27 PST 2011

2011, ജനുവരി 4 10:30 വൈകുന്നേരം നു, Anish A <aneesh.nl at gmail.com> എഴുതി:
>> Why is it not possible to make a Terminal emulator in GTK which supports
>> unicode? Any technical issues?

Because it is designed to be monospace (all glyphs are expected to be
of same width, which is not suitable for Malayalam). Swapnil, Mihir
and Saurabh from College of Engineering Pune is working on this as
their final year project. They have got some progress but there are
lot of extra spaces because of the monospace design. They are looking
for a solution, if anyone is interested to work with them please
reply.

> I think we can use konsole temporarily, till this bug is fixed.

Console also has this problem because both of them use vte as backend.

Praveen
--
പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍