[smc-discuss] Malayalam Chandrabindu - New Addition by Unicode

Jinesh K J jinesh.k at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 07:24:50 PST 2011

hi,

On Sunday 09 January 2011 07:13 PM, JAGANADH G wrote:
> 2011/1/9 Santhosh Thottingal <santhosh.thottingal at gmail.com>
>
>> മലയാളത്തിലേക്കു്  പുതിയൊരു അക്ഷരം കൂടി - MALAYALAM SIGN CANDRABINDU  0D01
>> യുണിക്കോഡ് പൈപ് ‌‌ലൈനില്‍ (http://unicode.org/alloc/Pipeline.html)
>> ആണു് കണ്ടതു്.
>> 0D01            MALAYALAM SIGN CANDRABINDU      2010-Nov-01 Accepted
>>

>> ഇതേതാണു് അക്ഷരമെന്നു് ആര്‍ക്കെങ്കിലുമറിയുമോ?
>>

> Refer the document http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n3964.pdf
>
> It is the proposal. It seems that the it is for Vedic texts .

Yeah, saw that.
Some general doubts.
Is it a requirement to have the characters like this?
That is, this not a natural character but one required to represent
Sanskrit in Malayalam(as per the document). I don't know whether it is
common to write Sanskrit in Malayalam. If thats the case,

1. We have to add the other diacritic marks in the text too in Malayalam
block i guess? Or is there any specialty for this particular
character(other diacritic marks are those single and double vertical
lines and a horizontal line)? By looking at the proof, I understand that
the problem will be fixed(that is printing Sanskrit using Malayalam
script) only if those symbols are also added.
2. The reasoning for adding INNA and ETTA was for facilitating the use
for linguists or others who want to represent alveolar an and ta
specifically(proofs submitted were like that).

So to facilitate the writing of another language in Malayalam, code
points can be added to Malayalam block(if someone used any special
symbol to represent some Latin or English names in text, i think that
can also be added).

In the same time,
1. The problem with two AU marks are not solved(because someone finds it
inconsistent with script to have both length mark and prebase form+
length mark to be equivalent).
2. It is quite obvious and easy to propose and accept forms where
chillu's make conjuncts(chillu N + virama + ra).
3. The encoding of Reph was done because they found it as a diacritic i
guess(i am not sure about this people who has more idea please enlighten).

So my simple doubt is,

Is according to Unicode, Malayalam script should be used to write all
other languages except "Malayalam Language?"

They don't seem to have any problem in breaking language rules of
Malayalam but are worried about ability to write Sanskrit or grantha in
Malayalam or explicit encoding of some characters for experts.

So if these things go on like this, after sometime think, it will be
very easy to write Sanskrit or grantha using Malayalam script but we can
never write Malayalam using Malayalam script.

But who cares!

In the new draft of Inscript CDAC haven't included ക്‍ citing not in
frequent use and provided both AU and au length mark. Unicode is trying
hard to make it difficult to write proper Malayalam, now efforts are by
CDAC, its a draft policy and is open for comments so I hope it doesn't
end up as standard.

Regards
Jinesh K J