[smc-discuss] malayalam font

arjun varma arjunthebose at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 23:48:38 PST 2011

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 10:12 PM, Santhosh Thottingal <
santhosh.thottingal at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 9:48 PM, arjun varma <arjunthebose at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > hello,im a student studying computer engineering ,i have a project to
> create
> > a Malayalam news search engine that displays Malayalam news results of
> > various news papers on screen when we input a keyword...at my first
> review i
> > was supposed to create a web site in Malayalam .in windows i got fonts
> that
> > support Malayalam..but i need to do the work in Linux which font
> > can recognize all Malayalam letters and display them clearly..plz give a
> > solution...
>
> May be you should read more about how Malayalam or any (non)latin
> language is represented in computers now a days.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode
>

> i have gone through these pages you have instructed to rad ..i have tried
> the following fonts in linux

meera,rachana,raghu,and some others ,
i had created an web page in malayalam just to see if these fonts come out
good. but unfortunately they dint work out.some of the letters are missing
and are replaced by R with a a circle enclosing it.i think this may be duen
to incompatible fonts..can u suggest any other font to use..and also how to
install swanalekha softwre correctly in ubuntu ..i tried it once but was
unsuccessfull