[smc-discuss] [Job offer] developing, integrating and packing a Unicode compliant Malayalam DTP software.

Jain Basil Aliyas jainbasil at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 07:43:12 PDT 2011

Hello,

Scribus is now rewriting its text engine, based on Harfbuzz, ICU etc. and
the project is being actively developed. I was following the development of
this project, but couldn't make up since I had to concentrate on to GSoC
works.

As per mails from Pierre Marchand, the developer of this work, it is far
from being qualified as alpha stage, but the following mails in mailing list
give us hope :

   1. Support for Hindi (
   http://lists.scribus.net/pipermail/scribus-dev/2010-November/000695.html).
   Here's the image sample generated:
   http://lists.scribus.net/pipermail/scribus-dev/attachments/20101130/a89e0529/attachment-0001.png
   2. Support for Arabic (
   http://lists.scribus.net/pipermail/scribus-dev/2010-November/000670.html).
   There are also images attached in this email!

As I read, it seems University wants to develop the DTP software from
scratch, which is not needed. Pierre has not yet committed the code
completely into OIF branch, hence it may break now. I've contacted the team
members to know about the current status of this project, waiting for their
reply :)

2011/7/5 ashik salahudeen <aashiks at gmail.com>

> The job posting looks very suspicious - I believe they already have
> people who they want to recruit. Otherwise why the "Master's in
> Computer Science" "no career gap" <- These are not factors that
> determine someone is a good programmer or not.
>
> --
> aashik
>
> 2011/7/5 sooraj kenoth <soorajkenoth at gmail.com>:
> >> പദ്ധതിയുടെ ഉദ്ദേശ്യം കൊള്ളാം. പുതുതായി ഒന്നു നിര്‍മിക്കുന്നതു്
> >> പ്രായോഗികമാവും എന്നു തോന്നുന്നില്ല. നിലവിലെ FOSS DTP അപ്ലിക്കേഷനുകളില്‍
> >> മലയാളം പിന്തുണ ചേര്‍ക്കുകയാണു് നല്ലതു്. തൃശ്ശൂരിലെ ജെയിനുമായി
> >> സംസാരിക്കുന്നതു് നല്ലതായിരിക്കും.
> >
> > ജയിന്‍ നമ്മുടെ മെയിലിങ്ങ് ലിസ്റ്റിലുണ്ട്. അവന്‍ തിരക്കിലായിരിക്കും.
> > Gsoc-ന്റെ അവസാന ഘട്ടത്തിലാണ്. വൈകീട്ട് വിളിക്കാം എന്ന് വിചാരിച്ചു.
> >
> >> I don't understand why a University wants to develop a new DTP software.
> >> The best thing for all their purposes is LaTeX. In fact, better than any
> >> piece of DTP software for academic publications. They can manage even a
> >> newsletter with that. But even if they need something for a newsletter,
> >> they can do it quite comfortably with Open/Libre Office. I think someone
> >> has to tell them this. Maybe someone who has access to the VC.
> >>

> > This might be for their office use.
> >
> > --
> > Regards
> > Sooraj Kenoth
> > Zyxware Technologies
> > "Be the Change You Wish to See in the World", M. K. Gandhi

> aashik

Greetings!

--
*jain basil aliyas.*