[smc-discuss] English to Malayalam Transaltion

Razee Marikar razeetg at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Mar 12 01:22:28 PDT 2013

A friend told me about his project. He was using Interlingua as an intermediate language. This link on Interlingual machine translation has some info. There are also tools available to help with the conversion/translation (eg: TnT, non-free (as in freedom, but free as in free beer)). I also found this paper.

Another approach is to use statistical machine translation, where the translation engine learns by 'reading' content available in two languages. An example of a bilingual corpus would be the translated strings here. Example programs that do some kind of translation by learning from these strings is poedit and virtaal. You could examine their code.

--
Razee Marikar

Home page: http://razee.marikar.co.in
“Even a fool knows we can't reach the stars, but thatdoesn't stop the wise man from trying”