[smc-discuss] Google Will Announce the Accepted Students proposals at May 27: 19:00 UTC

Hrishi hrishi.kb at gmail.com
Mon May 27 09:39:16 PDT 2013

Hi all,

Our organization has 3 slots. In the last few weeks, our mentors and
students have discussed and finalized the proposals.

*What actually happened*

*    First we (mentors/org admins) looked at each student proposals, and
got  in touch with them via email/IRC for an initial evaluation.
*    Once we were convinced that their idea is valid, we gave feedback
on    their proposal -This means that we thought the proposal  was good
and  it  is something which would add value to our work, hence benefit
the    community. Thank you for working with us on this.

*    We evaluated applicants' existing work/asked them to prove their
ability - this also means the mentors were involved in a deeper
relationship with the student  and probably looked at their code,   helped
them through some stuff, asked them to fix some minor bugs.   Again, this
means that we seriously considered their proposal, and    thought it was
good. Thank you for being extremely patient and working    with us through
this as well. We appreciate it.* In addition, this means that we now think
of you as members of SMC*.

*    Google announced the number of slots we are entitled to - and as
always  it wasn't as much as we expected. We got 3 slots. We had a
furious  round of discussion, each mentor defended respective  student's
proposal  and tried to push it into our list. We prioritized  the
proposals we  recieved, in terms of immediate need and  practicality and
selected the list of top proposals. After deduplication checks and  sorting
out such issues with other FOSS projects we selected top 3  proposals.

*What is next?*

Google    Will Announce the Accepted Students proposals on  May 27 at 19:00
UTC   ,  after which the students can contact the mentors and start
working  on  the  projects as per the timeline.

This    means, within a few days, our projects will be in super active
mode.   Even if your proposal got rejected, that doesn't mean the proposal
was    bad. So you are welcome to work on your proposed project even if
you  are  not selected for GSoC this time. The respective mentors will
definitely  help  you.

So please keep contributing to Free and Open Source Software. Roll up your
sleeves, and keep contributing. :)

Once again, thanks a lot. We'd love to have you with us.

And  a word for sponsors. There are more quality  proposals which are not
selected for GSoC due to unavailability  of  slots. If anybody willing to
sponsor such proposals through a student  fellowship, please write to
contact at smc.org.in.

--
---
Regards,