[smc-discuss] Rails Girls Summer of Code

aboobacker sidheeque mk aboobackervyd at gmail.com
Fri May 31 08:44:25 PDT 2013

1. Why do you think programming is a male oriented area when most of
the computer science courses have more girls than boys?

Yes, I am a computer science student and 2/3 of my classmates are
girls.But that doesn't man that they are interested in computer
science . Their family want to teach their childs an engineering
branch , and they chose computer science because they think it is best
branch for girls . Once our teacher asked " how many of you chose
computer science because your personal interest" , just one hand
raised from girls side !!!!

2. Also don't you see good number of women in IT companies?
yes, It is almost balanced in india .(probably because above case).
But it is not case in other countries . and most the female consider
it as a job, not a passion .
http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/5780/why-are-there-so-few-female-programmers

3. Doesn't that mean some thing is missing from Free Software
communities that women don't feel welcome?

They have equal opportunity , AFAIK there is nothing  which prevent
from contribution

4.How did you come to the conclusion that there is no descrimination
when the numbers speak otherwise?
Number is not everything :-)

5. Did you ever ask any women why they don't contribute before
declaring there is no descrimination?
None of my female classmates are familiar with opensource

6.Start with counting the number of boys and girls in your class. Then
ask how many of them have a computer at home or have a laptop, then
how many of them have a good internet/broadband connection. Let's
analyse the numbers and come to some conclusions. It is a serious
issue, are you ready?

Yes, but this is summer vacation , but most of them don't want to
learn outside their text book, They score 90+ % in computer science,
they have pcwith broad band internet connection    but they need
external help to install s/w even in windows

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/programming-and-development/it-gender-gap-where-are-the-female-programmers/2386
My answers may  be wrong, but it is true from my current info