[smc-discuss] Proposal to use loom.io as a decision making tool

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 07:09:02 PDT 2013

On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 9:29 AM, Navaneeth K N <nkn at riseup.net> wrote:

> On 10/3/13 9:25 AM, Praveen A wrote:
>>

>> Keeping track of things is difficult in a mailing list, especially when it
>> is a high volume one. So for information that needs to be referened over and
>> over we need tools like wiki. While wiki is good for documentation, there is
>> a lot of manual work to keep things in order, it is like a blank paper, you
>> can do so many things. Now loomio is like a lined paper, little more help to
>> keep things in order. It is good espeially for deision making, for example
>> we can easily decide if logbook.smc.org.in <http://logbook.smc.org.in>
>> should be created or not. I strongly support using loomio for policy level
>> decision making, especially amendments to constitution, which will involve
>> many proposals and voting.
>>

> +1 to that. I like loomio for decision making.

I'd like to point out that somewhere along the line in this thread
there is an implicit acceptance that a tool will help in decision
making. A tool like loomio would only go so far as to maintain a
transcript of the discussions, a clear understanding of the opinions
and, the original question on which the decision would be required.

The actual "deciding on a course of action" would still be based on
how individual's perceive the background context, the organization's
constitution and, any other relevant (in)tangibles. loomio perhaps
equips you with more context to help you make a better choice.

I point this out because often there is a mistake in putting
technology above humans (and goodwill). I've seen that in a few cases.

--
sankarshan mukhopadhyay
<https://twitter.com/#!/sankarshan>