[smc-discuss] #piratecycling @ Calicut

Praveen A pravi.a at gmail.com
Sat Oct 26 02:24:14 PDT 2013

2013/10/21, Praveen A <pravi.a at gmail.com>:
> We started from Thrissur on 18 and visited MES Kuttippuram. We talked to
> some students at hostel on 18th night and met students on s5, s1-s2 IT on
> 19th. I hope Sohail and Amith would share more. We are hoping they would
> also give orientation to their juniors about Free Software and mes-fsug
> group. We also suggested them to do some Malayalam translations from
> l10n.gnome.org and build kde from source as a way to get familiarized with
> Free Software development tools and processes. Anyone else interested may
> try it as well. If any of you listened to us, we'd like to hear your
> feedbacks. 19th evening we stayed at Mannarmala, 38 kms from MES. It was
> raining heavily and the road was too steep. We had to walk our cycles both
> up and down. I had to use the grass on the side to stop once!
>
> Yesterday we were at my home in Edathanattukara. Today morning we talked to
> students at my school there. We also visited Kappu school. Students there
> were very active and we just wondered why some engineering students were
> more clueless than them. We suggested them try out biogas generation with a
> bottle and a balloon. Now we are at my uncle's place in Perinthalmanna.
> Tomorrow afternoon we'll be at IT at school office in Malappuram. Our session
> is at 2pm. Then we'll move to Calicut. We are looking for a place to stay
> tomorrow night. If it is near Calicut university, it would be great. If any
> of you can help, contact me or sooraj (9995551549).

After leaving IT at School office in Malappuram on 22nd we stayed at
Kakkad (arranged by Hassainar Mankada). The session there was very
interactive and interesting. We got good local media coverage as well.

We visited two departments - mass communication & journalism and life
sciences, at Calicut university.

Discussion at MCJ was focused on copyright laws and need for reform in
the digital era. Many a times discussions got heated and people were
trying to express their opinions at the same time, trying to find a
space.

At life sciences, they were already free software users and our focus
was on a wikipedia model for open access journals.

Next day (24th) we visited Guruvayoorappan college and interacted with
economics students. We focused on copyright monopolies and sharing of
knowledge.

I had to leave as my Assam trip was coming closer. Sooraj continued
and passed Vadakara on 25th. He visited Kannore university and
interacted with MCJ students. Pirate Cycling will end at Cheruvathore
tonight.

A press release is prepared here
https://www.loomio.org/discussions/8425 please share it with your
journalist friends.

We are planning to prepare a detailed report once we get time. We
request all of you who got a chance to interact with us to give your
feedbacks and suggestions.
--
പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍
You have to keep reminding your government that you don't get your rights