[smc-discuss] Linux scholar skips California opportunity

Anivar Aravind anivar.aravind at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 04:57:36 PDT 2013

I think SMC need to give a News Maker of the year award to Our Nandaja :-)

Check

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=605781552799134&set=a.202747536435873.50382.189968437713783&type=1

Linux scholar skips California opportunity
http://www.deccanchronicle.com/130926/news-current-affairs/article/linux-scholar-skips-california-opportunity

Nandaja Varma could have travelled all the way to California to do a course
offered by Linux Foundation this December. For she had just won the Linux
Foundation Training Scholarship in the Whiz Kid category. But she would
choose to do the course online for she is still a student at NSS College of
Engineering in Palakkad.

Every year, the scholarship programme is offered to five people across the
world, and Nandaja was the only Indian chosen this year.

“I had applied for the Whiz Kid category to do a course in Linux Kernel
Development or Linux System Administration,” she says. Two others from the
US, a German and a woman from Uganda, are the other winners, in different
categories.

Nandaja was earlier chosen to develop a project with a USD 5,000 support
via Swathanthra Malayalam Computing for Google Summer of Code programme.

“It must be the packaging work I contributed for
the Debian community that helped me win this scholarship,” she says.

The Linux Foundation website quotes her as saying she will use her Linux
training scholarship to build her career as a Linux systems administrator
and to conduct mini workshops to increase interest in Linux, especially
among girls and women.