[smc-discuss] [fosscomm] Delhi government for free software

Narendra Sisodiya narendra at narendrasisodiya.com
Sun Jan 19 21:01:30 PST 2014

My my view, approach should be like this,
   First of all, One indian govt body must be formed which will be
responsible for creating a FREE (mukt) Distro for Indian specific use case.
It can be fork from Debian. It must include all possible hardware driver
which are FREELY (mukt) available ! Govt must blacklist and ban all other
hardware. If any company want to sell new hardware , it must approach to
that Indian body and get a certificate that new hardware is completely
working  with latest release of Indian Free OS.

I have 2-3 year experience in dealing Govt agents/bapu/sarkari-junta for
FOSS related talks and I really have bad experience. Whatever they will
promise only 10-15% will happen in best possible case.

For example, in NCERT, once they were 'talking' for nation wide FOSS
promotion with multi crore budget under my guidance but one day Director
changed all that stopped in 1 second. new director even removed Linux OS
from all system too. second example, We did huge program at *Digantar* in
Rajasthan with lot of funding from RedHat for FOSS. because many reason
that project also got a failure. We remove windows from all machine but
today they have window and as usual normal life.

So there has been work done by FOSS volunteer across India but failure rate
is very very high and we need to think on failure reason too.

Linux adaptation curve and Internet subscribe curve also have a very must
similarity. I consider "lack of Internet infrastructure" as one of the
major factor in failure of Linux in Bharat (India).

Available of hardware which do not work properly on Linux OS + lack of
Internet Infrastructure + lack of support in market are key factors in
failures.

Govt must "enforce" good decisions and this will help a lot otherwise
nothing will change !

2014/1/17 Arun M <arun at gnu.org.in>

> >     Stallman
> >     said that the ideologies of Aam Aadmi agree with his ideas.
> >
> > I am pretty sure I did not say anything about "the ideologies of Aam
> > Aadmi" since (1) I only partly know what they are and (2) I don't want
> > to endorse a party in India.
> >
> > What should we do?
>
> We may write to this email asking for correction.
> g.anand at mpp.co.in

│  नरेन्द्र सिसोदिया
│  स्वदेशी प्रचारक, नई दिल्ली
│  http://narendrasisodiya.com