[smc-discuss] [Community] [Fsmk-discuss] [fosscomm] Kontalk - encryption, as easy as whatsapp!

Praveen A pravi.a at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 02:03:18 PST 2014

2014/1/23, ബാലശങ്കര്‍ സി <c.balasankar at gmail.com>:
> So, in Cryptocat, Government can know who sent the message, but not what
> the message was.
> I don't want government to even know I am using it. I know it is possible
> to use TOR and bypass it. Still, from what I inferred, Kontalk saves me
> from using an extra application like TOR na?

No.

Any service you use, your isp/government know use it unless you are using tor.

Using Tor is no guarantee for privacy if you don't use encryption.

tor takes your data through random places so your service can't know
the location, and your isp will only see data going into the tor
network, they cannot know what services you are using - this is
anonymity.

https will make sure no one can see what is inside. If it is a plan
http, tor exit nodes can see your data.

Same case for all encrypted services.

You will need both https and tor to make sure, no one between your
service and you knows you are talking or what you are talking.

But we are talking about the third level, not even your service
provider gets to see what you are talking. This is end to end
encryption, usually done with pgp. Cryptocat has an option to do this
also.

> PS : From an Indian perspective, by default my internet speed is horrible,
> using TOR is unthinkable.. :D

There is no one magic wand which will solve all your problems. See
what problem you want to solve and use the right tool.

What tor is trying to do is different from what kontalk or cryptocat
is trying to do. You will need to use both if you want anonymity and
privacy.

--
പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍
You have to keep reminding your government that you don't get your rights