[smc-discuss] Fwd: Self-published Book: "i want 2 do project. tell me wat 2 do."

praveen at onenetbeyond.org praveen at onenetbeyond.org
Thu Jul 17 02:09:40 PDT 2014

> Books and software should be treated as different. No proprietary
> books have done harm to the society. But software has.

Keeping books locked under copyright denies many people from gaining
that knowledge or enjoy the cultural form. In earlier days of printing
press, it was a compromise since reproducing and transporting books
costed a lot of money and we had to find a way to recover the costs. Now
time has changed, marginal cost is zero for reproducing and distributing
(we have already paid for infrastructure). So now time has come to
change copyright laws. We will need to find new business models.

In the current situation Shakthi has an option of crowd funding (like
how debian administrative handbook was liberated). Shakthi can get money
foe the time he has spent on the book and we will get a free book.

It is now an ironic situation, one of the strong supporters of Free
Software piblishing his work as non free. There are many nom free books,
but I was not ecpecting this from someone like Shakthi. He is a good
friend and I have great respect for his contributions. But he
disappointed me this time.