[smc-discuss] hack to learn, learn to hack session at mohandas college

Pirate Praveen pravi.a at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 07:01:27 PST 2014

Let me try my luck again. I will try to send multiple mails so its
better than typing things all over again. Sad part is the response of
firefox os devs, an email app that does not work at all is considered
a 'normal' bug for a smart phone os.

I started with asking them how many of them know how to drive a car,
ride a bike or a bicycle. Some people raised their hands. Then I asked
them how many of them learned it by reading the manuals. Some answered
they need practice.

Then I asked them what is needed to repair, they said they need the
manuals. Then they replied they need to know the design if they want
to make a better one.

I had set the stage for them to realize what they need to make better
software. It is evident that only free software can provide it.

Then some people had tried tinkering with devices and one person even
tried to modify the kernel. Kevin had put printks (printf for kernel)
to learn the execution flow
of the kernel but given up after getting stuck.

Only few people were really interested to work on existing software.
Still I explained google summer of code to them.

--
പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍
You have to keep reminding your government that you don't get your rights