[smc-discuss] [fsug-tvm] Free Software and Open Source (was Re:Open Mobile Workshop)

Ashik Salahudeen aashiks at aashiks.in
Sun Mar 2 09:48:48 PST 2014

Ganesh,

I believe you had “SPACE” in your signature when you posted the email. Now
I see that you don’t have it anymore and you say you are not an employee.
ie. Earlier you were and now you are not ? Were you let go on Feb 28?
Well that's neither here nor there.

I think my main concern would be your opinions “against” ICFOSS. I am not
defending ICFOSS itself here, but I think SMC’s decision to take part in
ICFOSS program was meant to reach out to developers - non free or not - to
promote FOSS. (I am starting to sound like a religious preacher now, but
bear with me). So imagine an arena where you get to promote FOSS, with FOSS
alternatives rather than non free alternatives - to me, it is the only
track possible for SMC to collaborate because I've observed that that’s how
SMC has worked in the past.

As someone who watched SMC grow and sustain itself, and I repeat, ever
sticking to the Swathanthra notion, by spreading the message of freedom
including translation of Free Software Free Society and releasing its
content and code  under FOSS licenses, I don’t see any reason to suspect
that SMC endorses Open Source (as FSF defines) as opposed to FOSS. Did you
ask in the list as to what SMC’s plans where ?

Actually now that I think about it, you never raised a concern in SMC’s
list asking for SMCs plans there. SMC might have planned to structure it in
the same way as SPACE did with WoMoz 1st edition.  Your original email
looks like a willful, malicious email to me - especially how you raised the
whole issue without raising concerns on the SMC list, rather, emailing
every active FOSS list you could find.

This, I repeat, even after having seen how SMC has a strong track record of
sticking to FOSS. There is certainly malice here Ganesh. Calling my line of
thought “തറ” doesn’t make it go away.