[smc-discuss] Fwd: [fsug-tvm] Free Software and Open Source (was Re:Open Mobile Workshop)

Ashik Salahudeen aashiks at aashiks.in
Sun Mar 2 10:27:50 PST 2014

Arun,

My replies inline.

 1. SPACE's logo has appeared without SPACE's knowledge. Please forward
> my earlier mail on that. Abid has written to me apologising for his
> oversight.

Thanks for the response. Indu's comment on the Facebook group post
announcing the 4th March event caused the confusion. I wasn't aware that
she had left the organization. I think you guys owe Hrishi a thanks for
pointing this out though.

> 2. SPACE has always emphasised the freedom aspect and has paid dearly
> for that on several occasions. SPACE has consciously stayed out of
> events that celebrated open source with free software. And it will
> continue to do so.

I believe this particular emphasis has came in later in its existence then.
Because I see "FOSS" on your "About" page. And its not just there. For
example:
http://www.space-kerala.org/ict-training-students-agro-bio-diversity-centre-kalpatta-wayanad,
which specifically mentions open source tools. "Resource persons from SPACE
gave training in GNU/Linux operating system environment, applications and
open source ICT tools."   Were those FOSS tools being called Open Source,
because the people of Kerala has internalized the whole thing as one single
thing ? Swathanthra software ? Do think twice before claiming moral high
ground.

 3. SPACE did collaborate with WoMoz on the condition that the
> programme will emphasize and disseminate free software philosophy. And
> that was how the programme (mentioned by Aashik) was structured. The
> entire forenoon session was dedicated to freedom in computing, its
> history and philosophy.

 4. It is unfortunate that after all the strides made by the free
> software movement in Kerala, someone should still equate free software
> in public perception to be that of open source. I prefer to give more
> credit to the people of Kerala on that account. In a conversation I
> had with a student today, I came to know that some students support
> open source rather than free software. Though it disappointed me, it
> does show that people do distinguish between the two.

People of Kerala are well aware - credit goes to efforts starting from year
2000 by various groups - free software user groups , FSF ,
IT at Schoolteachers , KSTA, SPACE and communities like SMC who actually
translated
most of the Stallman's essays in gnu.org. As stated above, we all use those
terms interchangeably, and with the right connotation because we have an
equivalent, well used, well known term. Swanthanthra.

As an l10n contributor I have observed that words make sense in a cultural
context. People of Kerala have come to see open source as synonymous to
free software. i.e they see "Swathanthram" whichever word is used in
English.

>  Aashik is entitled to his own opinion regarding what is synonymous
> with free software. If SMC shares that opinion-which I don't believe
> it does-Ganesh's concern is meaningless. I assume Ganesh thought
> otherwise.

Yes. It is a democratic collective with freedom of opinion for all. And if
Ganesh claims his opinion is that of a member of community, you can count
mine with the same gravity,with the same amount of thought for well being
of the community.

Just as WoMoz says "FLOSS" but Space worked with them, SMC also endorses
the Free part of the ICFOSS program, and plans to take that opportunity to
educate people about FOSS . We succeeded in changing the name too by taking
the suggestion positively.

But I must say, Ganesh's concern, which initiated this thread looks
malicious - he never asked anyone on the SMC list as to what exactly SMC
was planning. Instead he started mass emailing all lists, trying to make it
look as if SMC is being irresponsible, while in reality its actions has
spoken otherwise. Which forced all of us to crosspost in the responses.

Its quite strange to see your bare, absolute minimum comments over Ganesh's
mail, which initiated this thread - possibly a good example of a troll.
Hope you will share your opinion on it since your mail also claims the same
moral high grounds..

--
aashik