[smc-discuss] Dot-Reph character in the keyboard layout

Baiju M baiju.m.mail at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 04:23:42 PST 2014

On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 5:00 PM, Santhosh Thottingal
<santhosh.thottingal at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 03/03/2014 11:13 AM, Baiju M wrote:
>>
>> I think SMC should take a stand on Dot-Reph character for the
>> non-phonetic input method.
>

> Agree on the fact that we need a layout representing requirements of
> Malayalam users.
>
> The example key ">" is already used for Chillu ല്‍  in Inscript 2.
> See http://i.imgur.com/7C31DcJ.png for the layout in Inscript 2.

If ">" is not a good position, I think we can use extended layout for Dot reph.
(invoked using the "Altenative Characters Key" - AltGr - Right Alt)

> Dot reph is not the only character missing in Inscript 2. Inscript 2 added
> some characters, some keys were swapped, but some keys are avoided. Chillu
> ക്‍ is one example.
>
> Then there is a bunch of archaic characters in Unicode and some more
> characters are coming in upcoming versions.

How about using extended layout with all these characters without modifying
the basic Inscript layout ? All those characters will be input using AltGr.

> So finding a key to place dotreph does not solve the problem. We need to
> think What characters are present in such a non-transliteration keyboard. Do
> we need to include all characters in unicode block for Malayalam? Or do we
> need to find a criteria for including a subset of that? Should we base this
> new keyboard layout on top of Inscript 1 or Inscript 2?

Let's base it on top of Inscript 1 and include all characters in
Malayalm Unicode
chart in the extended layout.

Regards,
Baiju M