[smc-discuss] [fsug-tvm] Re: Open source -Remote administration tool?

Ashik Salahudeen aashiks at aashiks.in
Wed Mar 5 22:55:38 PST 2014

If you are administering only Linux machines, SSH with port-forwarding
should be enough.. you don't even need VNC. And if you use X forwarding,
you can actually run the application on the remote machine but have it
display on your end.

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/XDMCP-HOWTO/ssh.html
http://forrestbao.blogspot.com/2008/01/connecting-your-remote-linux-desktop.html

SSH is far more flexible and consumes less resources than VNC or Teamviewer
does. And if i have a choice of VNC or Teamviewer, I'd pick VNC with
portforwarding rather than Teamviewer since we know what kind of
connections are made and what ports are used, as opposed to Teamviewer
since we don't know how it works.