[smc-discuss] Best practice for supporting alternative rendering of glyphs: ന്റ & റ്റ

Santhosh Thottingal santhosh.thottingal at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 05:24:50 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, March 18, 2014, Baiju M <baiju.m.mail at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What is the best practice for supporting alternative rendering of
> glyphs. I need alternative rendering for ന്റ & റ്റ: ന്‍റ & ററ.

I would not attempt this, at least for these letters. It creates ambiguity
in reading.
ആന്‍റി, ഹെന്‍റി  have different ന്റ, similarly a test case we have in our
font repo - ലാറററൈററ് has many possibilities of reading.

> Santhosh mentioned about orthography selection in the application
> layer in another thread. In order to support that, what is the change
> required in the font ?

It is not easy to support both in the same font, you may check how it is
done in GNU FreeSerif (in the master). It did not work well as I said.

If interested more details about this discussions

   1. http://www.unicode.org/review/pri250/,
   2. http://wiki.smc.org.in/Unicode_PRI_250_Response ,
   3. http://www.unicode.org/L2/L2013/13035-opt-conjuncts.pdf,

Thanks