[smc-discuss] Like to bring all your attention related IT policy of some of the state funded institutions

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 07:29:34 PDT 2014

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 7:47 PM, aboobacker sidheeque mk
<aboobackervyd at gmail.com> wrote:
> " however available under a somewhat awkward license that
> is called GPL but restricted to personal use. " can you please explain
> what you mean by this ? :-)

There is a somewhat interesting history to the licenses applied on
products and tools developed/made available by C-DAC. For a while they
used to mention GPL without specifically calling out the form of GPL.

Now, I checked that the current text says "Copyright (c) 2012,
CDAC-GIST, INDIA. SakalBharati Normal Open Type Font. ONLY FOR
NON-COMMERCIAL PURPOSES. Not to be distributed along with any software
for commercial purposes without prior written consent from C-DAC-GIST,
Pune." for <http://localization.gov.in/index.php?option=com_joomdoc&view=documents&path=tools-list/developers-tools/sakal-bharati-otf-font&Itemid=231>
as an example.

The downloaded file provides a Disclaimer text file with the following
content. Note the "Personnel"

DISCLAIMER: Any software that is offered for downloading from this Website is

 (1) The copyrighted work of the contributed organization

(2) Intended for end-users only, and

(3) Governed by the terms of an end-user license agreement
accompanying or included

      with such software.

 Any such software can be downloaded or used only provided that the
end-user agrees to the terms of the end-user license agreement prior
to downloading. Unless specifically set forth otherwise in the
applicable end-user license agreement, any copying, reproduction or
redistribution of the software is strictly prohibited.

LICENSE

1.    These Products are for Academic / R&D / Personnel use only.

2.    The Licensee assumes the full responsibility for the selection,
installation and use of the Software. DIT does not assume any
direct/indirect damages ensuing from the use of the product.

3.    Copies of the Software and the manual can be made only for
backup purposes and non-commercial personal Products/Utilities/Fonts
usage. Any copy made must include all copyright and proprietary
information notices appearing on the copy provided herein. Such a copy
if later on used for commercial purpose will be treated as illegal.

4.    The licensee may transfer the product, all its upgrades and
license to another party if the other party agrees to accept the terms
and conditions of this agreement.

5.    The licensee may use the Software or part of it, into another
Software for his own use. However the licensee cannot distribute any
part of these Software merged along with his Software.

6.    This license is applicable for use of Software on one computer only.

7.    The License assumes the full responsibility for the selection,
installation and use of the Software. DIT does not assume any
direct/indirect damages ensuing from the use of the product.

WARRANTY

1.    Since it is a promotional copy, it carries no warranty.