[smc-discuss] Microsoft to open source dot net and bring it to linux.

Kevin Martin youcancallmekevin at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 23:36:26 PST 2014

Microsoft purchased QDOS (Quick and Dirty Operating System) and renamed int
MSDOS. They were planning it as a quick solution to show to IBM so that
they would buy Microsoft's products and then later move everything to
unix[1]. The original DOS might be more like a hack, but I really doubt if
a billion dollar company could survive so long on just a "hack". They must
have definitely clean it up and improved it hundredfold. The windows
command line interpretor is still primitive. The so called power shell is
(supposedly) a joke compared to bash.

Making .net applications run on linux does not necessarily mean that linux
will now have all the woes of windows. An open source .NET framework (not
from microsoft) for linux has been in existence for quite some time[2].

"ആപ്പ്ളിക്കേഷനുകള്‍ ഇല്ലാതെ വലയുന്ന ലിനക്സ് കത്തിക്കേറാനുള്ള ഒരു
വഴിവെയ്ക്കലല്ലേ, ഏത് വിന്‍ഡോസ് ആപ്പ്ളിക്കേഷനും ഇനി അതേ പ്രൗഡിയില് ലിനക്സിന്
കിട്ടില്ലേ എന്ന്.."

If you had said ഗെയിംസ് ഇല്ലാതെ വലയുന്ന it would have been more accurate.
But I do not think that there's a lack of every day applications for linux.

[1] see wikipedia "DOS"->"origins"
[2] http://www.mono-project.com/