[smc-discuss] Facebook and Google spy on you

Hrishi hrishi.kb at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 08:44:30 PST 2014

*WHAT IF *your research could help solve a looming national problem, but
government officials thought publishing it would be tantamount to treason?
A Stanford professor and his graduate students found themselves in that
situation 37 years ago, when their visionary work on computer privacy
issues ran afoul of the National Security Agency. At the time, knowledge of
how to encrypt and decrypt information was the domain of government; the
NSA feared that making the secrets of cryptography public would severely
hamper intelligence operations. But as the researchers saw it, society’s
growing dependence on computers meant that the private sector would also
need effective measures to safeguard information. Both sides’ concerns
proved prescient; their conflict foreshadowed what would become a universal
tug-of-war between privacy-conscious technologists and security-conscious
government officials.

https://medium.com/stanford-select/keeping-secrets-84a7697bf89f

---
Regards,