[smc-discuss] help with rails assets and sprockets

Pirate Praveen praveen at onenetbeyond.org
Mon Nov 24 23:39:10 PST 2014

hi,

Any ruby folks here who can help with this?

In debian, we install assets, gemspecs and libraries in separate
locations as opposed to the ruby gem practice of installing everything
in one location.

Libraries are installed to /usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby
gemspecs are installed in /usr/share/rubygems-integration/all/specifications
and assets to /usr/share/ruby-<gem name>

Usually adding config.root is enough for sprockets to find the assets.

See
http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-ruby-extras/ruby-remotipart.git/tree/debian/patches/engine-root.patch

but some gems like rails-timeago and rails-assets-jquery-idletimer uses
more complex logic and sprockets can't find them.

http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-ruby-extras/ruby-rails-timeago.git/tree/debian/patches/engine-root.patch

Can someone help fix this? It is just a matter of passing the correct
paths, but since I don't know much of ruby, I could not figure how to do it.

Thanks
Praveen

--
Twitter: http://twitter.com/keralarb