[smc-discuss] Pirate Camps - follow up to Jessie Release Parties and Diaspora Yatra

Anivar Aravind anivar.aravind at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 06:35:52 PDT 2015

On 28-Apr-2015 12:25 pm, "Pirate Praveen" <praveen at onenetbeyond.org> wrote:

> On Tuesday 28 April 2015 12:19 PM, Anivar Aravind wrote:
> > +1 for the idea of followup camps
> >
> > -10 for the name pirate camps
> >
> > Why linking 2 Free software projects with piracy ?
> > There is nothing pirate in these projects
>
> If you are playing ignorance then there is no point in explaining.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirate_Party
>
> "Pirate Party is a label adopted by political parties in different
> countries. Pirate parties support civil rights, direct democracy and
> participation in government, reform of copyright and patent law, free
> sharing of knowledge (open content), information privacy, transparency,
> freedom of information, anti-corruption and network neutrality."

If Debian and diaspora activities are followup of a pirate camp with that
pirate label I don't have an issue . but while using pirate label on top of
it as an official followup to use its momentum I feel it is not right .
there is an issue while doing vice versa . I feel many people from.many
backgrounds supported both  Debian release parties and diaspora yatra . Now
announcing an official  followup action in a  pirate frame alone disturbs
me . I  dont have a problem if your announcement worded like " Indian
pirates were actively supported and participated  in organizing diaspora
yatra and Debian release parties  and  the  "team pirates" want to organize
piratecamps as a followup .

I feel many groups associated with both programs (ranging from kssp to dbg
) need tonne consulted before a pirate label as followup .  I personally
associated with both programs because it is free software promotion. I have
a different opinion  in bringing pirate label on free software related
topics . it will confuse users and change the discussion plane to
completely legal ground of licensing to the ground of piracy . btw I havbt
seen any good open content movement from pirate folks till this point