[smc-discuss] Pirate Camps - follow up to Jessie Release Parties and Diaspora Yatra

Jaisen Nedumpala jaisuvyas at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 09:46:48 PDT 2015

Hi,

Since Pirate movement is more like a political party in incubation, and as
it is political party in some other parts of this world, I am doubtful
whether I can join it or not. Being a government servant I can't be a
member of any political parties as it would be a violation of the service
rules I must abide by being a regular servant.

Pardon.

> On 28-Apr-2015 12:25 pm, "Pirate Praveen" <praveen at onenetbeyond.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Tuesday 28 April 2015 12:19 PM, Anivar Aravind wrote:
> > > +1 for the idea of followup camps
> > >
> > > -10 for the name pirate camps
> > >
> > > Why linking 2 Free software projects with piracy ?
> > > There is nothing pirate in these projects
> >
> > If you are playing ignorance then there is no point in explaining.
> >
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirate_Party
> >
> > "Pirate Party is a label adopted by political parties in different
> > countries. Pirate parties support civil rights, direct democracy and
> > participation in government, reform of copyright and patent law, free
> > sharing of knowledge (open content), information privacy, transparency,
> > freedom of information, anti-corruption and network neutrality."
> >

> If Debian and diaspora activities are followup of a pirate camp with that
> pirate label I don't have an issue . but while using pirate label on top of
> it as an official followup to use its momentum I feel it is not right .
> there is an issue while doing vice versa . I feel many people from.many
> backgrounds supported both  Debian release parties and diaspora yatra . Now
> announcing an official  followup action in a  pirate frame alone disturbs
> me . I  dont have a problem if your announcement worded like " Indian
> pirates were actively supported and participated  in organizing diaspora
> yatra and Debian release parties  and  the  "team pirates" want to organize
> piratecamps as a followup .
>
> I feel many groups associated with both programs (ranging from kssp to dbg
> ) need tonne consulted before a pirate label as followup .  I personally
> associated with both programs because it is free software promotion. I have
> a different opinion  in bringing pirate label on free software related
> topics . it will confuse users and change the discussion plane to
> completely legal ground of licensing to the ground of piracy . btw I havbt
> seen any good open content movement from pirate folks till this point

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
 - ജയ്സെനോവ് നെടുമ്പാലോവിച്ച് പഹയനോവ്സ്കി -
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
      ( `v´ )
        `v´