[smc-discuss] Let's fight for Net Neutrality before it becomes necessary. E-Mail the TRAI now.

Anivar Aravind anivar.aravind at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 19:38:15 PDT 2015

Wikipedia zero via telecos or @internet_org are bad. Why dont they  try for
policies at govt level to ensure free access for free knowledge . without
exclusiveness.

I am not an ardent fan of net neutrality . I dont believe pipes should be
dump always . I consider net neutrality as a first world idea. Countries
like us with serious digital divide need to ensure free information
infrastructure and its availability before considering net neutrality. Now
I am supporting net neutrality and save the internet campaign because it is
the only thing we can do at this point .

In my view the issue we are facing now is an after effect of  spectrum
auction with single agenda of govt revenue without any perspective on how
to use it for digital inclusion of indians.

I consider following 5 pillers  as the way of countering digital divide .
Free Software , open standards , local language interfaces , local language
computing and free knowledge.
I consider access to free  software and free knowledge repos as
infrastructure and not as just websites. This is important

Price for bandwidth is different in different parts of the country. Access
cost is higher in villages . while I am enjoying 25 mbps 40gb cap
connection at rs 1179 in bangalore , same connection quality is not
available at kerala even if I pays 5 times of this amount . Considering
these free access for poor to govt services is also an important right when
govts are going digital . Even though akshaya project helped in enabling
access to govt services in kerala via akshaya centres it increased the cost
of access in a major way. in my view  Access to govt services must be toll
free.   Now when smartphone becoming first computing device in the hands of
Indians there must be better plans to provide access .

In short internet.org is using this policy vacuum for manufacturing "public
good" while marketing their websites and ad platforms . Wikipedia was wrong
in marking wikipedia zero with telecos instead of pushing a policy campaign
for policy support for free knowledge which will be beneficial for non
wikipedia free knowledge project as well . When Wikipedia is wasting a lot
of money on india programs without much quality outcome it was
comparatively easy step . But they opted for selling it to telecos .

Now at this point I am going to stick with net neutrality demand . because
any efforts for positive discrimination will result in total
discrimination.

Anivar
 To my knowledge, this is an official position of Wikimedia foundation
and it has been criticized within Wikipedia.

I had a conversation with @jimmy_wales itself
https://twitter.com/jimmy_wales/status/590423143036096513 . I was,
against my own wishes, forced to argue against free access to world's
knowledge. Because as far as I see, this is not the right way to do it.
I feel so bad now. Why does Jimmy Wales take this position? I guess he'd
even kill to give free access to Wikipedia.

And, he said "Meanwhile you have no credible plan for getting data to
the poorest". What he essentially says is that Internet.org is the only
way for data to reach the poorest. Shouldn't we change this situation?

I'd love to be able to prove him wrong. That his plan was stupid, and
that we don't need Facebook's help in getting Internet to the poorest.

I have a new life mission then.