[smc-discuss] PROPOSAL: A new developer workflow

Ashik Salahudeen aashiks at aashiks.in
Sun Aug 9 18:44:46 PDT 2015

Hi all,

We (Akshay and me) maintain SMC's font package for Arch Linux. We were
looking at automating package updates and generally automating steps we
take for new releases. A look at our current gitlab repos (
https://gitlab.com/groups/smc) reveals that our workflows may not be
entirely suitable for automation, including tests.

We explored setting up a project on a hosted Jenkins to build our fonts,
and it turns out to be easy. We were thinking that if our development
process (vbased on git) can be streamlined a bit, we can make things like
automated testing easier, and will know when our tests fail and so on. We
can move faster and better in this fashion. The proposal is not big, its
just altering our git workflow a wee bit. The rest is setting up
infraswtructure for automated build and release. As a starting point, I
have put the key points in the document available at the link below.

https://etherpad.mozilla.org/qIr3XSaieY

Please go through and respond. If we have a consensus, we can setup a build
server and add our projects in it.

Regards,
Ashik Salahudeen