[smc-discuss] [FEC:141791] malayalam word for gender nonconforming children

Deepa P.Gopinath deepapgopinath at gmail.com
Sun May 3 05:36:47 PDT 2015

Like to share the experience i had while having a discussion on transgender
issues and interaction with gender and sexual minorities in our college(NSS
camp). We started with a discussion on sex, sexuality and gender led by
Anil (Chilla). The students interacted effectively and started discussing
very openly without any inhibitions. This was followed by the session on
transgenders and sexual minorities, led by the community members, who
visited the camp. It was a good experience for the students to interact
with LGBT community members and hear their experiences and issues. The
session had a long lasting impact in their social perspective. Later these
students took initiative in helping Anil, in the digitization and data
visualization of transgender survey, conducted by the social justice
department, coordinated by Sangama. What surprised  me was that, they took
pain to organize a session on transgender issues in their mega
intercollegiate cultural festival 'Dhwani'. Kalki Subramaniam, Sonu
Niranjan, Syam Seethal, Christy (TG community members). Rajesh
Sreenivas(Sangama) and Anil took part. The CETAA hall (one of the main
halls in CET) was full, people were standing and sitting on floor. (Usually
when conduct discussions, the most challenging task is to make hall atleast
half occupied). That was rated by the students as the best session in the
ethics part of Dhwani. The community members also found it very valuable,
to interact with a such a large section of youngsters. Kalki and Syam
stayed back and was dancing with the students in the music programme of
lagori band in the evening. They enjoyed a lot in the festive mood with the
students. It was great to see the otherwise marginalized community, being
in the mainstream, dancing and singing hand in hand and enjoying together.
Later i found that, after these interactions, it was easy to have
discussion on gender issues. May be because, with the interaction with LGBT
community,  it is easy to break the rigid binary norms on male and female
constructs.