[smc-discuss] Pirate Camps - follow up to Jessie Release Parties and Diaspora Yatra

Balasankar C balasankarc at autistici.org
Mon May 4 01:57:54 PDT 2015

Even though I am not sure about the validity of what I am suggesting, let
me do it anyway.

Let us leave the naming to organizers of the camps. From my experience, if
I suggest a training camp under the name "FOSS Community of India" in my
college, it surely have a better acceptance rate than being projected under
"Pirate" label. I am fully aware that we have to try to change the mindset
of people about the "pirate" label and make them aware about how we differ
from the old pirates of the see, but I am not in the virtue of sufficient
time or opportunity to do so.
So, when  my primary intention is to promote "free software ideology" and I
want the event to be as perfect as possible, I may go with FCI or any other
appealing name and discard the "pirate" in it. It is just a matter of
getting things done without sacrificing any ideologies. Let there be
followup camps and I may think about the pirate label.

There may be places where "pirate" label for such camps is accepted without
much fuss. If the organizers are also fine with that label, let them do it
under pirates. But, if somehow projects a negative image about the word, it
does much worse than not using pirates. When we, Indian Pirates call
themselves "freedom fighters of digital world", we surely don't want to go
back to the notorious image na?

Being that said, I feel there are some disadvantages to this approach.
Different names at different places may result in the publicity getting
split. We can have a better branding and outreach if we stick with one
name.

However, "pirate camps" should _not_ be projected as a follow-up activity
of Debian release parties. These camps must have individual existences and
can not be linked with Debian release parties we conducted.